Badly built extenstion and damp! advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, sorry for my lack of knowledge in this topic, I know very little about this and would like some advice from knowledgeable people.

My house is an ex council terrace house with an alley down the side, and an out house at the bottom of the alley in the rear garden.

The kitchen has been converted into a dining room, and en extension built for a kitchen, this has then been linked to another room parallel to the kitchen, incorporating the out house with a Perspex ceiling over and patio doors. All look very nice until we started having problems a year after moving in.

The low level electrics blown, and having an electrician out to have a look, discovered all the inside of the sockets were rusty! This was disconnected and temporarily fitted external coving feeding sockets that are not wall sunk. This is still not fixed permanently as still having problems. Next was the water coming through the spot light sockets in the kitchen extension which immediately had me on the roof re-fixing the flashing to the wall in the pouring rain!!

The most recent has been the 'Garden Room' extension floor. Part near the adjoining wall was bowing, so I took up a piece of laminate and found that the underneath, which is similar to 1 inch thick hardboard? Was soggy and rotten. Ripped this up to have a look under and there is about a foot drop between the 'hardboard' and the earth. I cannot decide if the damp problem has been the flashing or rising in the walls.

We also have a disgusting problem with slugs on the kitchen floor garden room walls! Which I know is a problem in the local area, but not indoors!

thanks in advance for any advice or suggesions

Mark

Sponsored Links
Is this work you had done or was it converted/extended when you purchased?

Sounds like it was knocked up by a tenant who then exercised the Right to Buy . I would be surprised if it`s got any form of planning or build regs :cry:

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it was knocked up by a tenant who then exercised the Right to Buy . I would be surprised if it`s got any form of planning or build regs :cry:

I know, I do have my suspicions about that. I have heard of the 45degree rule (if this still exists) and the kitchen WAY extends past next doors 45 degree sight of vision :confused:

As this has been up many years do they still have the right to remove the extensions if it is the case that it does not have permission? :eek:

As long as its been there for 4 years (and you can provide evidence) you are immune from prosecution and any enforcement action. Sounds like it may be less hassle to rebuild it than try and fix all these problems anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back