Bagged Hardcore? Pre-filled Gabions? help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Project requires a large portion of the driveway to be underpinned, due to being on the side of a hill with limited depth of soil before you hit rock/large degree of height build up Gabions have been recommended as the most reasonable option - by structural engineer.

Need 30 odd of them to really do the job (structural engineer wont sign off with any less), the issue is access to site is very limited due to Peak District & narrow lanes. Nothing bigger then a Bin lorry can get down there, access to the site wont allow a tipper truck to get round enough to dump a load.

I am therefore looking at two options:

1) Pre-filled Gabions delivered to site and HIAB'd (or equiv) onto the site, 8 tonne excavator to move them into position. Cost is looking at around £9-10k.

2) Bagged Aggregates HIAB'd on site, gabions put into place empty, then using 8 tonne excavator to hover them just in/over gabions and the bag slit to try and fill. Risk of damaging the gabions/load not sitting properly in them.

Both options I am pursuing, but am really struggling to find anyone then the odd supplier willing to consider it. Structural engineer/builder are both shrugging and being of little use.

Can anyone suggest anything I might be missing, or ways of doing the above?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Any farmers near you? They'll have up to 9 tonne trailers. It could be HIAB'd straight into trailer and tipped near where wanted.
They might even be prepared to collect if it's not too far away.

That's a very good idea actually, there are a few farms nearby, they clear the roads during the snowfall!

HIAB'd off lorry onto trailer, excavator with fork attachment to get them off onto site!

Thank you! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back