Some gabions/ retaining/ fill advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am extending a concrete drive/hardstanding by 8ft to create an extra parking area. The site slopes away from the house so the existing concrete drive is level at the house side and there is a small wall about 2.5ft high retaining the other side.

I was just going to build a small block retaining wall and fill with quarry faced rubble etc and then finish with 6 inch reinforced slab.

I would also consider using gabions instead but have never worked with them before. What sort of base do they need? just excavated to decent ground then an inclined base of hardcore?

Also your thoughts on the best method of infilling the inside (currently lawn) would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Shameless bump! Any gabion based or general fill advice would be most welcome.

couple of quick points on your wall just in case; make it at least 225mm thick block on flat, leave weep holes 900mm apart, taper your drainage peas off to channel the water to the weepers, i would use smaller chips too

Thanks for the reply, i have done a few retaining walls so am not worried about the wall construction and drainage etc, more after some advice on the best method of filling the area inside the wall to minimise chance of settling and some advice from anyone that has built something similar with gabions.

Cheers though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link. I actually followed that saga when it unfolded and it looked interesting.

The other thing i was really after was some advice on the best fill method to reduce or eliminate any settlement as it'll be a concrete drive over the top and i don't want it cracking.

My idea was to build either the wall or gabions , remove the top soil down to decent ground and then infill with quarry faced rubble/ 4 inch crusher run etc then gradually grade it down to 20mm clean or similar. Then 6 inches of reinforced concrete over the lot.

Any comments welcome

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back