bailed-out banks hooray

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
"The taxpayer stands to make up to £27bn from the emergency bailout of Britain's banks when the Government's stakes in Lloyds Banking Group and Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) are sold, estimates suggest. The public purse can expect to benefit from £19bn of share price gains, another £2bn in fees for guaranteeing bank bonds, plus £5bn in fees for the Asset Protection Scheme (APS) and £1bn in loan fees, according to calculations by the trade magazine The Banker, the Independent reports. "

nothing wrong with that. We bought them cheap when they were struggling, put them back on their feet, sell as a going concern.

Sponsored Links
Let them go bust more often. Let them pay whatever bonuses they like. :LOL:

The tories won't be to happy thats £27bn they can't justify in cuts.

Sponsored Links
JohnD";p="1720977 said:
"The taxpayer stands to make up to £27bn from the emergency bailout of Britain's banks when the Government's stakes in Lloyds Banking Group and Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) are sold, estimates suggest. The public purse can expect to benefit from £19bn of share price gains, another £2bn in fees for guaranteeing bank bonds, plus £5bn in fees for the Asset Protection Scheme (APS) and £1bn in loan fees, according to calculations by the trade magazine The Banker, the Independent reports.

the independent.... what do they know...they are independent.....

What does that mean exactly - ' The tax payer stands to earn £27b? Does that mean that we will all get a tax rebate?

I'm pretty sure we won't see any of it.

What does that mean exactly - ' The tax payer stands to earn £27b? Does that mean that we will all get a tax rebate?

not a hope..... but your taxes might not go up... we all have to pay for the last incumbent... and pay we will....

What about capital gains tax or is government immune from this if so why

No.

It means higher VAT, and higher taxes, and more PAYE, and more NI.

The pound was/is so close to collapse, that that writ on the note "I promise to pay the bearer"...don't exist. As they couldn't. So 'money' is obsolete, A £500 banknote is worth a £5er.

Previous governments ran the account dry. Maggie sold off most to recoup the debt, but there is no money in the tin.

So what to do? Sell off more UK industry? There is none left! (apart from french setting up nuclear reactors in this country)

UN-Inventing technology is the way forward..Concorde, Veyron Car, withput this, we are doomed.

100 years ago, many worked in the mills, now the population has doubled, where have they to work? It's a tract that the Romans experienced, but didn't cure.

"The taxpayer stands to make up to £27bn from the emergency bailout of Britain's banks when the Government's stakes in Lloyds Banking Group and Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) are sold, estimates suggest. The public purse can expect to benefit from £19bn of share price gains, another £2bn in fees for guaranteeing bank bonds, plus £5bn in fees for the Asset Protection Scheme (APS) and £1bn in loan fees, according to calculations by the trade magazine The Banker, the Independent reports. "

nothing wrong with that. We bought them cheap when they were struggling, put them back on their feet, sell as a going concern.
But it's short change when you consider we're around £4 trillion in debt!
http://www.sage.co.uk/blog/index.php/2010/08/uk-debt-how-much-do-we-owe/

at least we're making a profit, which is OK by me.

I'm so glad the bankers are happy and the government's happy.

Private investors that had a few quid in HBOS lost out big time (Believe me I know! :( ) At the takeover by Lloyds TSB, HBOS shares were exchanged for a correspondingly very small value of TSB shares because they were deemed to be worthless. Northern Rock investor did even worse. The small man looses out again to the leviathans of this world.

I had some money invested in RBoS. The swine had more off me before they collapsed, saying they just wanted a bit more to tide them over. I'd rip the head off Fred the Shred and his desire to run the worlds biggest bank.

Sponsored Links
Back