BALANCED COLD WATER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having a megaflow installed, the mains blue pipe comes into the kitchen and I wanted to know if its okay to connect that directly into the kitchen sink tap or does it need to go straight to the cylinder and back down for a balanced feed?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It would be common place to connect it directly to the pipe.

BUT if its a joystick mixer then I would connect it back from the reduced pressure output of the Megaflow so the pressures are balanced.

I would also connect a non return valve in the hot feed to the kitchen tap in either case if not separate taps.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Okay, as for my 2 bathrooms should the cold be tee'd off after the PRV and then sent to the bathrooms for a balanced cold flow?

Thanks

Keep all the hot and cold supplies balanced, except the outside tap which can be directly off the main pipe. Then no problems. Having a high and low pressure on a mixer can cause problems.

If the kitchen tap is a discrete tap then there is no need to have it from the balanced supply.

Any kind of mixer then yes.

Tony

Not if it 's a dual flow mixer....o_O

If it's dual flow then the water mixes at the spout so a balanced supply is not required. A single flow mixer mixes in the body and then the supply needs to be balanced.

Last edited:
Not if it 's a dual flow mixer....o_O

If it's dual flow then the water mixes at the spout so a balanced supply is not required. A single flow mixer mixes in the body and then the supply needs to be balanced.
Dual flow mixers area are a rare beast indeed. I had one once and it worked OK. The water mixes as it drops out of the swivel, two streams mixing in mid-air.

You can always fit the pressure reducing valve after the mains comes in and then everything would be balanced. The relief valve will still need to discharge externally though.

You may be surprised actually John, if you go looking, there are quite a few, you just need to ask for them. The big sheds etc all carry single flow now cause they're cheaper but dual flow are still pretty easy to get.

You can always fit the pressure reducing valve after the mains comes in and then everything would be balanced. The relief valve will still need to discharge externally though.
No need to go outside any more for an unvented cylinder or a boiler. The boiler version is out before Xmas. Do no more ugly dripping pipes on the outside of buildings and no thick walls to drill through.
http://hotun.co.uk

IMG_4512.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back