Balancing a centrall heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had 2 new radiators in my new extension which don't warm at all. I have been told to balance my system. Do I need a thermometer to do this is there another trick of the trade to use.

My plumber mate says I need to put bigger pipes in my feed from the header tank, but I don't understand why and he is crap at explaining things. Can you do better?

Sponsored Links
BigHammo said:
I have had 2 new radiators in my new extension which don't warm at all. I have been told to balance my system. Do I need a thermometer to do this is there another trick of the trade to use.

My plumber mate says I need to put bigger pipes in my feed from the header tank, but I don't understand why and he is rubbish at explaining things. Can you do better?

Yor plumber mate is not only useless at explaining things he sounds like a useless plumber

More info would be good too Have the 2 new rads been connected to the same pipe, What size pipe have been connected ?

As for bigger pipe from the header tank tell your plumber mate to start up ballet dancing classes

The rads were run from the nearest rad, one in the new conservatory one in the kitchen. Same pipe sizes 15mm. My mate is bit of a dreamer, but I may have misheard him as he says my CH system is really weird. e.g, when I changed the speed of my pump it sucks air out of the overflow and a get masses of in my rads.

Sponsored Links
Turn the ones off that are working and see what happens to the new ones

i turned off the next radiator, nothing happened, I turned of the next one in the chain and the radiator got slightly hot at the top only, I haven't turned any more off. Whats next?

You were told TURN THE ONES'S OFF THAT ARE WORKING. The idea is to see if the new ones get hot.

Get that tutu out :LOL: pas de deux, anyone :LOL: :LOL: en point..........mmm nice codpiece :p

Sorry, the one that wasn't working, got hot only at the top. The other one, that wasn't working, did not get hot at all. What does this mea?

Only decent plumbers to answer please.

BigHammo said:
Sorry, the one that wasn't working, got hot only at the top. The other one, that wasn't working, did not get hot at all. What does this mea?

Only decent plumbers to answer please.

If all the other rads have been turned off & this is what is happening on the new, then I would suspect a blockage or air. (But Im not a plumber)

First of all it's not a plumber you need to speak to. You should be speaking to a heating engineer. It sounds like you have branched off the flow and return from another radiator and you're not getting the flow to your new radiator. You may want to consider taking the flow and return from your main carcass. Simple fluid flow dynamics.

Thanks DIYISFUN and Tennooge. What do you mean by main carcass? Is this like a manifold or something? Can you just not chain rads together or connect them in parallel. Excuse me if I am not up with the terminology.

try tracing the pipes back to a 22mm flow and return and branch from there to your new rads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back