Balancing a CH system containing a bypass rad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our CH system has TRVs on all but two of the rads (hallway w. the thermostat and a towel rail in the bathroom) which act as bypasses for the pump. The boiler (a Windhager pellet boiler) does not incorporate any form of bypass circuit so, as I understand it, we need one or more rads without TRVs to protect the pump.

Given that some of the rads are heating up a lot slower than others (esp. the lounge which sits at the system end furthest away from the boiler) and I know all the lockshields are currently fully open, I thought I'd balance the system and see whether I could improve the performance of the slow-to-warm-up rads.

Unfortunately, two out of the three nearest rads to the boiler are the two permanently open rads. Therefore, I would expect these to need the greatest flow reduction when balancing the system.

Is it OK to balance a system in which the bypass rads are so close to the boiler? Will the flow rate post-balancing still be sufficient for them to serve their purpose of protecting the CH pump?

Apologies is this question has been asked before. I've had a good search around but couldn't find an answer to this specific question.

Cheers,

Mike

Sponsored Links
I would just close the lockshields and then open say 1 and a half rotations. That way they won't hog all the hot water but is definately anough for the water to flow around to cool a bit. Then just balance all the other radiators as normal, on the 3rd rad starting with 1 3/4 turns open then the 4th 2 turns etc.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back