Balancing CH. Do I really need thermometers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a back boiler CH system. Some radiators are not getting that hot at the bottom of the rad. Can I just adjust the lock valve a bit without using thermometers?

I found this method. Will it be sufficient for me?

"OK with the heating on full and running for say 1/2 an hour so it should be up to full steam so to speak. Start on your first rad by turning its control valve up to max on the flow side this is the valve that you can turn and probably has numbers on it 5 or max is fully on, or if no indication of which is on then it should be turned fully anti clockwise till it wont go anymore. Then pull off the tamper cap on the remaining valve ( this is called a LOCKSHIELD valve ). Turn it fully clockwise till it is in the off position as posted earlier you will need a tool for this. Once you are happy that it is in the off position then turn it just by half a turn anticlockwise and leave it for a couple of mins and see if the whole rad heats up properly. if not try another half turn and repeat untill the desired effect. Do this on every rad. once set they should never be touched again and the tamper proof cap clicked back into positio. The method i have just described is a bit of guess work and not that accurate but it will work. You will find that the rads closest to the boiler will only need to be opened by a small amount compared to the rads furthest away from the boiler that will need to be set by maybe a couple or more. We actualy use pipe thermomitors to set them a. There should be a difference of 10 degrees C between the flow side and the return side of the rad. And also double check that there is no air left in them by bleeding each rad."

Many thanks,

T

Sponsored Links
I agree with bengasman. Rads not heating at the bottom could be because they are bunged up with crud. Best thing is tak them off the wall and flush them through with a hose outside. You may be amazed how much dirt comes out.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back