Balancing e HW cylinder flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I previously thought that the balancing valve on the flow side of the HW cylinder was intended to ensure a shared flow the the HW and CH systems when they are both active, however, it occurred to me that the flow temperature through the W cylinder will affect the return temperature and thus the modulating on the boiler.

Is it the case that I ought to balance the HW valve so the return of the HW cylinder is 14 degrees lower than the flow?

Sponsored Links
To balance the central heating system the lockshield valves of the radiators would need adjusting, these tend to be on the return side. I would not think doing this would alter the temperature of water return to the cylinder.

It is a compromise for setting the flow in the cylinder.

HW is used all year so I would set it for a differential of about 12 C with a condensing boiler.

With CH on as well the pump pressure will reduce so that diff will rise which is all to the good.

If possible I would set the CH on its own for a differential of about 15 c

The smaller differential for the HW is because it slightly speeds up reheat. As HW is only about 10% of a typical gas bill so less important if the efficiency is a little lower.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back