Balancing Rads with weather comp & variable speed pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope you can help.

I had a Viessmann 200 boiler installed a couple of years back, with weather compensation and modulating pump. I've been really happy with it and the weather comp works well.

I've been renovating the house since then, room by room, replacing the old radiators with ones sized for the room. The sizing of the rads is to give the correct heat output at 60C flow temp from the boiler. I have the slope set for 60C at an outside temp of 0C, which was plenty warm enough during the few properly cold days we had last year.

I've installed the last new radiator this weekend so now it's time to properly balance the radiators.

From what I've read, I think I should be looking for a 20C difference between the flow and return of the radiator, as the boiler condenses.

The question I have is - should I balance the the system at full heat output/flow temp of 80C and full pump speed (Think that this can be achieved by using the flue test option in the service menu) so that the weather comp is not used and the pump does not vary in speed?

By putting the boiler into flue test mode I think I effectively turn the boiler into a 'traditional' boiler that just chucks out heat ignoring the fancy controls, is this correct?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back