Ballast question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lay a thick concrete slab(600mm in places) as a shed base and intended to use a maxibag of ballast and cement. Many builders merchants seem to offer only ballast with small stones. More like a very coarse concreting sand, such as this from Travis Perkins
https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Travis-Perkins-Sand-and-Stone-Ballast-Bulk-Bag/p/938169
Is this really as strong as sand and gravel, I was always under the impression that it was the gravel that gave the concrete it's strength.

Sponsored Links
The ratio of large aggregate to smaller fines in concrete affect its strength.

Ballast should have a good mix -usually with bigger stones upto Id guess 40mm and small stuff.

I n the context of a shed I cant see it making much difference.

Pumped concrete only contains small stones.

Sponsored Links
No, 600mm is correct. It's a foundation for a telescope pier. Most of the shed base will be around 100mm thick. But part of it will be 900x900x600

Thanks for the replies everyone, probably going to go for the Travis Perkins one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back