Ballcock Adjustment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
The ballcock in the header tank in my loft very slowly passes water once its full. Its like the ballcock is sagging slightly and not fully shutting off the water. When I get up in the mornings there is a small puddle where it has seeped out through the overflow pipe. Nothing major just annoying. Can the ballcock be adjusted in any way or is it a replacement job?

Sponsored Links
What kind is it? If it has a brass arm it could be bent down slightly but may just need a washer.

Do as Denso13 says pop a new washer on, also unscrew the ball and shake it to see if it is leaking and partly filled with water.

Sponsored Links
Just been in loft and forgot my phone! Its a metal barrel coming through the tank with the arm held on with a split pin. Very basic. Ive bent it down as best I could but its solid and hard to bend. Its stopped it trickling out so Ill keep an eye on it

There should be a screw cap on the brass cylinder. Turn the water off, unscrew the cap, remove the split pin. You can pull the inner brass piston out with the lug on the ball valve arm. In the end of it there'll be a small rubber washer. Replace that, lube the mech up if it seems tight, reassemble (do check ball for water).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back