Cold water tank overflowing: iced up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My cold water tank overflow is being used, causing a nasty patch of ice where it lands on the driveway. The cold water tank has never overflowed before.

Symptoms are:
* Cistern seems to take a long time to shut off.
* Ballcock was lying below the surface of the water. I had to pull it to the surface.
* There is evidence of overflow onto the plywood platform holding the water tank. Tea towels placed on the platform yestreday are now wet. Some slight spillage onto loft floor. The tank does not have a cover, I'm using a bit of board at the moment.

Recent work I've done:
* On Tuesday night, I had 2 pipe bursts in the loft, both on the cold water pipe feeding the cistern. On one of the repairs, I included an isolating valve with small plastic lever. This was because the existing stopcock was totally seized up.

Possible causes:
* Could the isolating valve that I fitted have altered flow to the cistern ballcock valve in some way?
* Is it simply a case of ice on the ballcock, or in the ballcock valve?
* Because of the burst pipes, I have had the central heating on full blast, with the loft door open. Maybe this is causing (excessive) condensation on the (plastic) tank?

I can post photos tomorrow. But access to the tank is very tricky.

Sponsored Links
Your installation is obviously in very old and poor condition, open tanks etc.!

Keeping heating on and hatch open should prevent any further burst pipes.

You dont mention pipe insulation. Is that because there is none?

One I saw last week had damaged the wiring center and both motor valves and failed the fan and the PCb on the boiler.

Tony

Your installation is obviously in very old and poor condition, open tanks etc.!

You dont mention pipe insulation. Is that because there is none?

Tony

Well, the plumbing has worked well enough. Until this week :(
All pipes had foam insulation sleeves. I've bought some thicker sleeves, but in some areas where pipes run close together there is not enough room.

Any ideas on why a cold water tank overflow has suddenly developed?

Sponsored Links
most likely cause of overflowing tank is a passing ball valve, best to change it, and buy a by-law 30 kit, to keep foreign bodies out of water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back