Ballcock valve in water tank not shutting off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, live in a flat and have noticed that constant trickle of water coming out of overflow pipe outside. Investigated and constant low noise coming from the water tank. Think the ballcock valve has worn away and not closing off completely. Have called loads of plumbers but no one seems interested. Is it simple enough to replace? Any links to videos etc to show me what to do would be really helpful! Thanks.[/b]

Sponsored Links
It is a very simple job in most cases. Turn off the water to the tank then you can either remove and replace the rubber disc or replace the whole valve. DIY stores etc stock the rubber replacements, cheep as chips. You will need to remove the split pin then unscrew the end cap to get at the rubber.
Pete

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.Now having trouble getting to the pin cos of the acute angle!!!! :oops:
Probably easier to replace the washer with the valve removed from the tank.

Is your ball valve a part 1, part 2 or a part 3?

Part 1:
Brass%20Ball%20valve%2012%20Part%201%20float%20valve%20+%20Float.jpg

Part 2:
comap-float-valve-part-2-andfrac12-andquot-.jpg

Part 3:
a20791d1367c1e5531a1bf_m.JPG

Or not one of the above?

If you're struggling to get at the cotter pin it would be easier to remove the whole valve.

It is not necessarily the washer. Plastic seats can 'craze' and start to disintigrate.
Seat on right:

21HlkTrEiyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks Charnwood. Tried to take the whole thing off with the wrench but dam thing on so tight, like it's frozen! :oops:

View media item 45545
You are trying to undo the nut indicated by the black arrow and not the red arrow, aren't you?
The body nut (red arrow) are factory tightened and you'll never shift it without a MAJOR struggle.

Thanks Charnwood, yes I was trying to move the nut with the red arrow! Tried the one you suggested but no joy either, but doesn't help that no body has probably touch the dam thing for 20 years!
Anyway found someone willing to come out from one of these internet tradesman website, charged £50 for what took him 15minutes.Probably on the slightly pricey side but was happy to pay it for the peace of mind!
But thanks for all your help though, really appreciate it....shame my crap wrench or lack of strength let me down! :oops: :LOL:

£50 for a call out and repair is not bad really. I know you say it only took him 15mins but when you factor in travel time, fuel and probably a min charge of 1 hour not that bad!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back