Bamboo Vs Brambles!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Im having nightmare with bramble bushes every spring fighting their way into my garden, although my mother likes to come round and harvest the blackberries at the end of the summer I started to poison the thing off. As soon as it dries out a bit Im going to get a brush cutter and strip it all out and burn it in the incinerator.

In its place I am going to grow some bamboo. Do you reckon that the bamboo will out grow the brambles? as incase any bramble regrows i dont think I could handle bamboo intertwined with bamboo removal the folowing year.

The area is some wasteland next to my house with no access to it, so I just want to block the view without the brambles growing over the fence and pathi into my garden

thanks in advance for your advice.

Rob

Sponsored Links
Brambles are very good as a security fence, if cut back (in the shape of the boundary) over a number of years. We have them out the back and encourage them in the boundaries.

I'd say it's more than likely that you'll get brambles growing into the bamboo. I've had large stands of bamboo in my garden and it's plenty open enough for brambles to invade.

If all you've done to the brambles is spray from your side because of no access, it's probably still pretty healthy on the other side. And spraying when you did isn't the best time for the pesticide to be effective - it should be done when it's in full growth rather than dying back.

If you go with bamboo, make sure you're not replacing one problem with another - it can be a thug and equally hard to manage. I would go with the turning the brambles into a hedge suggestion, great security between you and the wasteland. But if you really want something in front of the brambles, I'd go for something much denser that they'll struggle to get through.

the best way to deal with areas ike this providing you have access, is to create a firebreak of say 1m and clear it well in winter and spray it 3 or 4 times in the year.

You will still need to do this even if you plant a hedge.

ceres is right bamboo is not the answer.

Also obviously sbk or similar for brambles not just round-up

Sponsored Links
sorry just re-read there is no access. By all means clear what you can and then plant something but be aware you will have to maintain it.

You could use a roll of tough landscaping fabric nailed on to some posts behind your hedge? These will stop it for a good while and let your hedge get established?

There must be access, maybe not for you.
Try & find who owns the land, ask them if they will do something or will they let you have access.

If its truly wasteland with no access then make an access from your garden and maintain the land for 12 years then claim it.

The area is about 1.5m then a ditch about 2m wide then a railway line.There are some old fence posts which I expect are the boundary along the side of the ditch. The Railway do clear the track side foliage yearly but not on my side of the ditch I want to plant bamboo as is seems to grow upwards rather than creeping around everything including my fence, my shed, and stuff I have stored in my garden. Should I attack the roots of the brambles once they are cut back. I have had access to kill the bramble with strong chemicals as I have removed fence panels to access it and once it is dryer i am going to chop it up with a brush cutter.

Thanks for help.

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back