Bandsaw circuit breaker requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a used bandsaw which needs a 16A supply - the guy who owned it before me had a dedicated 16A connection for it.
I have a 32 amp supply running from my house consumer unit to my garage, where the saw will be used. In the garage there is a separate consumer unit with B32 and B16 circuit breakers.

I have wired it to the B16 circuit breaker, but it trips it straight out when I turn the saw on. I then connected it to the 32A circuit breaker and it worked OK.

I want to add a dedicated circuit breaker for the saw, but am not sure what circuit breaker to add. Should it work off a 16 (could there be some fault with the saw, or that circuit breaker, causing it to trip), or is there likely to be some sort of 'surge' that occurs just as the saw is powered on meaning it needs a higher circuit breaker value?

Also, I heard there are different type's of breaker - B type, C type etc. Is it correct to use the 'B' type in this case?

Sponsored Links
You also need to look at the safety aspects of a band saw.

Flourescent lighting with normal control gear will create a strobe effect which can make the blade appear to be moving very slowly or even stationary when it is running at high speed.

The fitting of emergency stop buttons need to be considered.

If children. vulnerable adults or people not trained to use the saw can access the garage then use of a key switch to prevent the saw being used by un-trained people should be considered,

Sponsored Links
Andy
This is an old post resurrected by a US advertiser whose advert post has been deleted by the Mods.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back