circuit breakers

CU only screwed on the right hand side.

Looks like the board is screwed on the left just above the neutral tail. Can just see a bit of the fixing screw.

Main issue would be that Wylex 40A type c RCBO. It does not fit and if you ring mem or wylex I am sure they will advise against using other manufacturer's breakers within their cu's and vice versa.

Also the insulation on the line tail looks damaged possibly through to the conductor. As this is the incoming tail it can not be isolated via the main switch which makes it more of an issue.

If this was fitted last year are you aware that there is only one circuit protected by a 30mA rcd. Love to see what the EIC states on deviations of BS7671 and the explanation why the deviations were ok'd!

Sponsored Links
But I am sure the new Eaton RCBO's will not fit the MEM 2000 busbar. The MEM has large busbar prongs whereas the new Eaton stuff is for small pronged busbar.

The MEMshield 2 range fits the memera 2000 range with the wider prongs and is what is advised by mem technical. The later memra 2000 boards had a narrower busbar prong and there is a different recommended breaker for these (though memshied 2 might also be suitable? don't know). which doesn't fit the wider pronged busbar on the early boards!

Found out the hard way after phoning up the wholesaler and asking if they could order breakers for a memshield 2000 board.... he got out his mem book and saw memra 2000 and didn't read the small note nearby :LOL:

Ahhh that's where I went wrong. In that case I retract my earlier statement and change it to

The MEMshield 3 range of RCBO's' do not fit the older MEM range'

I know that for a fact, much to my chagrin as the MEM 3 range is designed for the narrow busbar, and presumably is the one recommended for the later MEM design

In that case I would definitely get that Wylex replaced for a MEM 2 RCBO. Or as has been mentioned, get the council spark out with an RCD, unless he can't get one of those from B&Q either

Hi All
Thank you all for your advise, just to let you all know.
When Stockport Council do any repairs or change any part of their property (Bathroom /Kitchen/Heating/Plumbing/ ELECTRICAL WORK).
A Council Area Inspector comes and Supposedly to CHECK the WORK that has been DONE.............
And guess what (you guessed right) We Had a Council Area Inspector in after ALL this work was Done. So one assumed every things OK.
ONCE AGAIN MANY THANKS TO YOU ALL

Sponsored Links
Looks like the board is screwed on the left just above the neutral tail. Can just see a bit of the fixing screw.
I can see something - might be a screw.

But if it is it is in the wrong place - it's through one of the knockouts and therefore not in a strong enough place.

Lousy incompetent work which contravenes the wiring regulations and the manufacturer's installation instructions.

Main issue would be that Wylex 40A type c RCBO. It does not fit and if you ring mem or wylex I am sure they will advise against using other manufacturer's breakers within their cu's and vice versa.
Agree. More contraventions.

Also the insulation on the line tail looks damaged possibly through to the conductor. As this is the incoming tail it can not be isolated via the main switch which makes it more of an issue.
Ditto..

If this was fitted last year are you aware that there is only one circuit protected by a 30mA rcd. Love to see what the EIC states on deviations of BS7671 and the explanation why the deviations were ok'd!
Me too.

And confirmation that the EFLI is low enough for a Type C.

Hi All
Thank you all for your advise, just to let you all know.
When Stockport Council do any repairs or change any part of their property (Bathroom /Kitchen/Heating/Plumbing/ ELECTRICAL WORK).
A Council Area Inspector comes and Supposedly to CHECK the WORK that has been DONE.............
And guess what (you guessed right) We Had a Council Area Inspector in after ALL this work was Done. So one assumed every things OK.
ONCE AGAIN MANY THANKS TO YOU ALL
This really isn't good enough.

The work is shoddy, there are numerous contraventions of the Wiring Regulations, and people pay the council via rent and Council Tax for these services - they have an absolute right to expect them to be done properly.

Regarding that Wylex RCBO in the MEM board,not only is it a bad fit but its also a code 2 on an EICR.Check out regulation 510.3 BS7671.Unless you have confirmation from one manufacturer that anothers CBs or RCDs/RCBOs can be used in their boards (and i guarantee none of them will agree),you cannot fit simple as that.

Manufacturers only test their own breakers/RCDs on their boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back