Banging boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a problem with an upstairs radiator not heating up so I part drained the system to replace the valve. In the end, I bought the wrong valve (2 x 15mm connections whereas the old one had a 15mm and a 22mm). Anyway, the valve was jammed closed so I freed it up and refitted it.

It's a Gloworm Fuelsaver F (Model 45F) boiler.

I refilled the system. The header tank in the airing cupboard is full and I could hear it filling as the system refilled.

I've been round all the radiators and water comes out straight away when I open the bleed valves.

The boiler is downstairs and I'm pretty sure that the first radiator is the towel rail in the bathroom pretty much immediately above it. That gets hot. Second radiator seems to be the one in the main bedroom - the one that wasn't working. That gets hot. Next is the second bedroom. That gets hot.

This all happens quite quickly.

The pump in the airing cupboard is humming away nicely and I can hear the tone change when I change the speed with the switch.

Eventually, all the other radiators warm up but it probably takes about 4 hours. The downstairs ones seem to be last.

The problem is that the boiler makes an unholy racket. It fires, runs for about 2 minutes then shuts off. At the point that it shuts off, you get an awful lot of banging and clanking for 10 seconds or so then it goes quiet until it fires again 3 or 4 minutes later.

The overrun pipe(?) that goes back up to the header tank is too hot to touch.

So, it seems that the boiler is kettling.

I'm assuming that there is air in the boiler but I don't know where to start to get it out into a radiator so I can bleed it off.

Any idea gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Have a look for bleed screw on the actual boiler, as well as the radiators, there may be some air trapped in the boiler pipework.

Thanks, Swaddy. Therein lies the problem. I can't find a bleed screw and I can't seem to find anything about it online. I've just sat down to have another crack at it so maybe I'll have more luck now. I turned the boiler down to 2.5 this morning and it's running lovely and quiet but taken ages for the house to warm up.

Sponsored Links
I had an air lock in my boiler pipework with similar symptoms, so thought I would suggest it , you never know, it might have helped.
Sorry I cant be of more help, I know how frustrating it can be, having just made an ass of myself by crossing two wires on my boiler stats, took me a week to find it.

Good luck

Swaddy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back