Pipe Banging

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently moved into a flat that has a communal Central heating system, with no pumps/boilers in individual flats. There is a radiator in the main bedroom that is sat at the end of a long run of pipe that is causing us trouble.

The pipe is banging rhythmically every 5 seconds or so which is causing the radiator to bang as well. The noise tends to build to a crescendo resulting in a massive bang from the rad. I have tried turning the rad off but the pipe still bangs and bleeding the radiators hasn't achieved anything.

Interestingly if I shake the rad when it is happening the noise stops for 30 seconds. There is also a small pump to circulate to the downstairs portion of the flat, turning this on causes the noise to speed up.

Is there anything else I can try before getting an engineer in?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like thermal expansion of the pipes; and the pipe is rubbing against something as it heats up. Could be very easy to fix with a bit of lagging, or extra support IF you can pinpoint the source of the noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back