Hammering Bang noise from Radiators & pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I get a regular bang noise from radiators & pipes. I tried bleeding them to check for any air. the rads bleeding fine. However, in one of the rads down stairs and 1 in the bed room, when I try to bleed water, it does not come out in force. It just comes very slowly. Do you think this might be the reason of the regular bang noise from the radiators & pipes. The noise continues even when the CH / Hot water is not in use.

The rads I think are quite old. Since we have just bought this house we do not know when they were installed?

Can someone please help to get rid of this annoying bang noise like as if someone is hammering them.

Thanks

B

Sponsored Links
type of boiler and system etc might help

It may be unrelated to the heating/hot water completely.

It may be the cold feeds to the wc, water tank in loft or any other device that has a ball cock. The juddering of the ball cock valve when shutting off may be vibrating the cold feed pipework, this pipework may be touching the heating rad pipework somewhere under the floor (anywhere) and transmitting the noise.

I thought that would be easy to explain, all clear and simple in my head, but written down............ :confused:

Sponsored Links
Next time it does it, turn the thermostatic valve up to a higher setting. then fit an auto by-pass valve.

Hi

the thermostatic valve is on its highest setting. I get that noise even when the heating is switched off.

Next time it does it, turn the thermostatic valve up to a higher setting. then fit an auto by-pass valve.

HI

I ve checked the pipe work they are not at touching distance and are well clamped and secured. The noise I get does not happen the same time when I turn the cold water tap or when I flush the wc. This normally happens when there is no hot or cold water running.

Also I figured out today the boiler ocassionaly runs for 3 or 4 seconds automatically and then switches off automatically even when there is no hot water or heating or cold water running. This has occured 3 or 4 times in about last 7 hours.

I have the Vailiant Turbomax Combi Boiler. There is no water tank in the loft etc...

I trust this info is any good and might help you understand the problem???

Thanks once again
B

It may be unrelated to the heating/hot water completely.

It may be the cold feeds to the wc, water tank in loft or any other device that has a ball cock. The juddering of the ball cock valve when shutting off may be vibrating the cold feed pipework, this pipework may be touching the heating rad pipework somewhere under the floor (anywhere) and transmitting the noise.

I thought that would be easy to explain, all clear and simple in my head, but written down............ :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back