banging in my pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had my bathroom refurbished took the bath out replaced with a shower, new sink, new loo and a radiator/towel rail replaced and ever since there is loud banging and rumbling noises coming from the pipes. Seems to be no rhyme or reason sometimes it starts up after turning on a tap or flushing the loo other times it starts up on it's own seems to happen in the early hours crossing my fingers no complaints from the neighbours so far the geezer who did the work has gone to live in denmark so am at a loss . I have bled all the radiators seems to be hissing sound like air coming out but so is water. Any ideas on what it could be and how to deal with it thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the noise coming from the heating pipes or the incoming cold water mains? What type of system do you have?

Not really sure where it comes from although it seems to be to the front of the house where there is a downstairs loo and i think that is where the cold water comes in. I have a combi boiler.

Could be a number of reasons really pipes not sufficiently clipped, faulty valve/tap washers. quarter turn taps open and close in a split second which can sometimes send shockwaves through the pipes. Has it only started happening after you have had the work done?

Sponsored Links
Yes but the guy said all he did was shorten some pipes so it cant be to with that...it just happened again this time it seemed to be coming from the back of the house. Is there any point in keeping bleeding the radiators?

Yes but the guy said all he did was shorten some pipes so it cant be to with that...it just happened again this time it seemed to be coming from the back of the house. Is there any point in keeping bleeding the radiators?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back