Banging in the airing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newbie here and apologies if I'm a little vague but I am away from home at present so can only go on what my wife says!!! :oops:

She says that there was a banging noise coming from the airing cupboard and that the central heating pump was red hot.
I told her to turn it all off and stick the immersion heater on for the hot water.

Now the system had started to play up recently (possibly connected?) for when I turned the heating off at the timer around the end of April, I noticed that one of the top radiators (we live in a split level house over 4 floors!) was warm even though the CH was off?

The pump is a Grundfos one I definitely know but no idea of its age as the system is what we inherited when we moved in a couple of years ago.
The boiler is fairly old too - maybe original?? (house was built in 1996) but is serviced once a year. I can give you more info when I get back tomorrow if needed but in the meantime, I was wondering what the problem could be??
I would assume the banging could be air??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Or the system is boiling.( pump stuck or not working)

Or the zone valve isn't shutting fully and jumping and making a noice

Thanks for the reply,
I have long suspected the zone / 3 way valve due to one of the radiators coming on whilst only having the hot water on.
I did not hear the banging noise but my wife says it was like the pipes in the airing cupboard were 'jumping'?
If I get the valve replaced, would there be any damage to the pump as that was 'apparently' red hot?? and get that replaced at the same time??

Thanks for your help/advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back