Banging Noise When Hot Water On

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,
Many months ago, we had a issue where the pipes would make a very loud banging noise in the attic when the hot water was turned on. It kicks in after a few seconds and lasts a long time (Like, BANG <small gap> BANG <small gap> <water off> <slightly longer gap> Bang <yet longer gap> BANG) - Its loud, and means at night merely using the water causes everyone to wake up. Its ridiculous, knowing that theres a chance that the plumber who comes will be useless thought I could solve it myself. I say this because out of four that came over, only one bothered to investigate the issue and after an hour solved it. He said the pipes where expanding and hitting the floorboard so he put a piece of wood under a pipe, the problem is i dont know which.

The problem is now it started again, and so I went up there the other day with the hot water on, couldnt find any piece of wood. I pinpointed the source of the noise to a thick pipe plastic pipe running down into the bathroom from the attic, but it was a very very quiet tick, so, its getting amplified somewhere to a ridiculously extremely loud noise.

Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
pipes expanding and causing a BANG! that is strange. there are a few guys on here based near you. might be worth giving them a pm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back