Banging pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A mate of ours has got a problem with the cold water pipe banging in the loft when turning off the tap/shower or the cistern stops filling. I was talking to a guy who used to be a plumber and he reckons its caused by very high water pressure and if left could cause damage in the long run. Also the only way to cure this is to fit some special valve/restrictor (I cant remember exactly what he called it) in the supply pipe and that simply turning down the mains tap will not help.
I was thinking that this sounded more like air trapped in the pipes but he says no.
Any ideas if he is right or not, and if he is what exactly is this valve thing, and where should it be fitted.
Thanks everyone

Sponsored Links
called a shock arrestor. but pipe clips are prob cheaper option first

Thanks for the quick reply.
All pipes were fixed down when new combi was fitted so it sounds like the second option.
Where exactly should this part be fitted, by the supply tap or in the pipes in the loft where the banging is? hopefully not the supply as thanks to the kitchen fitters there is no access to this anymore (apart from turning on/off)

Sponsored Links
just because all your pipes were clipped doesnt mean there not touching. also try opening the mains stop tap fully open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back