Banging pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help because its driving me crazy. I have had no problems with my cold water supply but ever since turning off the water mains at the stop tap to repair a leaking compression fitting the pipe bangs every time you turn the cold water tap off suddenly or the toilet cistern fills up there is a banging sound through the house. Any ideas for cures?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Yeah i tried that but then i loose pressure upstairs in the bathroom. If i have the shower running and then flush the toilet the shower pressure drops to a trickle until the toilet cistern re-fills.

Until i turned off the water i never had this problem.

Sponsored Links
An air lock can act as a cushion to stop pipe hammer look at pipe work for a t with a stub and blank end etc it may have water and not air in it or try emptying and refilling to try to get the air cushion back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back