Banging pipes - more so when neighbours use water, Help!

DLR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

About three weeks ago, our hot and cold water pipes started to bang, very very loudly, and we weren't even running any water!

Managed to figure out it was when our neighbours ran water and shut off their tap/washer, etc. it caused an horrendous bang as the water shut off. we are on a common supply with next door

We we shut our taps, and when our washer stopped filling, it also banged, but not as hard and loud as when the neighbours did

We called the water board - United Utilities - who sent an inspector, he shut off our internal stop tap - as I had already done - and he also turned off the water at the boundary stop tap

This cured it, no more banging - everything back to normal

He went, our neighbour came home, ran his water, and...... the banging was back

Called for the inspector to come again, as he said it could be a fault with the boundary stop tap, letting air in.

Inspector came again - a different one - one with attitude "I'm not a plumber!" listened to the bang, and he concluded it was a fault with our shower connection, so get a private plumber

I've called two plumbers, sat in like a prat for neither to show

Can anyone on here help?

What I find odd, if it is a fault on our shower, then why does it cause a bang when our neighbours run water?

Last night they were running water for ages, when I used the tap while they were at the same time, no bang occured, on any tap, or the shower

Thave just fitted a new bathroom nextdoor..... about four weeks ago :D

Many thanks for any pointers :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back