1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Pipes bang bad when turning water ON

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Albopalbo, 25 Jan 2021.

1. Albopalbo

Albopalbo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Some help diagnosing how to fix this would be appreciated. (new build house)

About a month ago we had a plumber install a shock arrestor to our washing machine supply as it was banging when the water shut of abruptly. Issue fixed, but ever since then another issue has popped up:

When we turn ON the cold tap in the kitchen, or bathroom the pipes bang badly. The initial flow of water for 1 second is super pressured then flows normal. If I watch the pressure indicator and turn off the tap, the pressure slowly rises from 3.5 to 5 over about 30 seconds. Turn on tap, BANG, pressure drops to 3.
    I initially thought it may be some air trapped in the pipes from the plumber draining the system, which was slowly getting compressed by the mains pressure, then causing a water hammer when the flow was released so I drained the system again and filled it by opening the upstairs taps. Still bangs. I repeated, this time opening the upstairs taps in a different order. No joy.

Am I right in my assumption? How do I go about sorting it? Or is this caused by something else. It never did it before the plumber drained the system..? Confused.

Many thanks

Last edited: 25 Jan 2021
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. rbranco

rbranco

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    you might need a PRV?

4. Albopalbo

Albopalbo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've had an investigate and there is a PRV installed. Tried turning it down and had to turn many many times before any difference was made. Now I've set it super low to about 1 bar, the kitchen taps a dribble, but when I turn the tap off, the pressure slowly creeps up to 6-7bar over 15mins. Faulty PRV?