banging tap (bath mixer cw)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just moved into a fairly modern house (three bed semi c. 1991) with a standard open-vented gravity-fed hot/cold water system. The cold water storage cistern is in the loft, and the hot water cylinder is on the first floor (same floor as bathroom).

When I switch on the cold water tap of the bath mixer, there is a repetitive banging noise (about three bangs per second) with a very small amount of water flow. The hot water tap of the same mixer works fine (so I am sure that this tap must be fine for low pressure/head). The hot/cold feeds to this bath mixer are fed via 22mm pipe and a pair of double check valves. I do not know the make or type of this bath mixer, since there are no obvious branding marks. The taps operate over 1/4 of a turn, so I guess they are ceramic disc?

In the same bathroom, both the hot and cold taps of the basin mixer flow OK, as does the cold water feed to the toilet cistern.

Questions:
- Can this banging be caused by faulty ceramic disks or faulty cartridge, or indeed a faulty mixer?

- Can anyone identify this bath mixer?! I would like to try and find a replacement cartridge, before removing the existing one. See image:
[img=http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8586/img9484smalloa4.th.jpg]
It looks kinda like a Pegler Xia, but it only has three arms on the headgear (rather than the Xia's four).

- Is there anything I can do to further diagnose this problem?

I would be surprised if there was an airlock, as the flow to nearby taps is OK (i.e. the pipe layout looks professional - as it was originally installed). Also, I guess the fact that there are double check valves inline, means that I can't try blowing the airlock back out of the system using the "mains cold water" technique?

Any help or advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Swap the hot cartridge into the cold tap and see if you still get banging.

thanks!

It turned out to be a faulty double check valve which was feeding the tap that was causing the banging.

After chatting to an old boy plumber in the local merchants, he put money on it being the valve rather than the tap itself, so I tried removing that first.

Now i have a good (and quiet) flow of hot and cold into the bath!

Cheers

T

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back