Banging bath mixer taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me if there is any way I can cure my bath mixer taps banging when I switch from tap to shower. The mixer taps are the old fashioned telephone type. I have a combi boiler with mains fed cold water. I can stop the banging if I hold the tap over for a while. Is this a worn part or is the tap not suitable for the system,as before I had gravity fed cold water and storage tank.

Sponsored Links
Nige I would like to replace the taps with a similar one to match the rest of the bathroom, what do I have to look for when buying a new classic style mixer tap so as I dont get this problem.

Sponsored Links
called water hammer mate. The jumper in the tap will be worn. You can buy a tap reviver kit. for about a tenner.

Sell the old one on ebay :idea: specify it is for low pressure supplies and give aprox. date of manufacture ;) Better than the scrap bin

Thank you Looney fitter, I was wondering if there is a repair kit. I did strip it down as far as I could go by undoing the handle and removing what I believe is what you refer to as the jumper but I could not get the rest of the valve out from the top as I did not have an alun key to fit. What would this repair kit consist of and where would I get one from.

You`ll be lucky , he`s talking about a tap washer - not the diverter valve ;) . You could try a plumbers merchant. But youre about 40 years too late to find one that actually has parts on the shelf/knows anything . Think I`m joking :rolleyes:

Alas I think you are right Nige, I think we are in the throw away era now. I still have some of my Fathers tools some of which were given to him by his father and all of them are in perfect working order due to the fact that all the working parts had oil holes and bearings etc that could be exchanged, ah the good old days.

I`ve seen the industry from 1970 to now - go from 6 guys behind a counter with massive hand written invoice books - behind them a big warehouse and 2 guys answering tech queries /ordering . TO Hi-Vis Clowns wandering round "warehouse" with monkeys driving 7 ton vans like boy racers . 6 weeks delivery then the monkey wrecks it in the van . Again I say this country is F***ed. One day I`ll be vindicated :LOL: Never mind House prices are still rising and driving the economy out of recession

Well nige and looney I finally managed to get the valve out of the tap and it is a strange affair. I wish I had taken a picture now but here goes. it is a length of round plastic with a slot cut throgh half way in the middle. At either end there is an O ring with a a plasic raised cross section. The tap handle consists of a dog leg cam which fits into the plastic grove. this obviously raises and lowers the valve . I think this is where the wear is as the plastic is a bit rough. For a makeshift I have turned the valve upside down and it only bangs once now when you go from tap to shower. If I select tap or shower before turning on the hot or cold it works without banging. Do you think I will be able to get one of these valves.

Not necessarly - people sell old bath ware @ boot sales . might be one the same - less worn :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back