Bangs in the middle of the night!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some while back I took the ensuite apart and removed the floor as it was poor quality chipboard, slightly sagging and definitely not straight! I then straightened up the joists and added a number of noggins where the joints will be for the plywood floor and said new floor is now laid, but not screwed down.
Issue I have is that occasionally I hear a thud coming from the floor that is loud enough to wake me up and I am fairly certain it is due to contraction somewhere in the room. Of course this may be down to everything not being screwed together, but the real concern is that it is due to the noggins that are screwed in and will soon be buried under a tiled floor.
So my question is, are noggins a bad idea and prone to causing this kind of problem? If so, I’m not quite sure how to move forward with strengthening the floor!? Has anyone fitted them without issue?
TIA

Sponsored Links
So you have made a plywood drum.....timbers tend to creek and screwed up wood groans under load , somebody using the loo running a tap pipes thrashing about in that echo chamber you have made?

So you have made a plywood drum.....timbers tend to creek and screwed up wood groans under load , somebody using the loo running a tap pipes thrashing about in that echo chamber you have made?

It is a bang not a groan and the floor is not screwed down yet. There is nobody else in the house and it is nothing to do with the central heating or plumbing of any description.
My main concern is whether the noggins Are potentially the source of the noise and whether they are a good or bad idea.

Noggins are usually considered a good idea as they help to strengthen the bond between joists and floor surface.
Is it just one 'sudden' bang and then no more or does it happen more than once? Does it happen at regular times, (i.e. 8pm then 9pm then 10 pm etc), or is it just the one bang each night at the same time or different times on different nights.
Mark a pencil line around the noggins during the day time and, if you hear a bang, go and inspect the pencil marks to see if the noggins have moved. If they have then there's the site of the noise. Next you would need to find the reason it is happening. Is there a hot water pipe running close by? Is the pipe actually hot at that time? etc
I wouldn't screw anything down until you find the reason for it happening.

Sponsored Links
Noggins are usually considered a good idea as they help to strengthen the bond between joists and floor surface.
Is it just one 'sudden' bang and then no more or does it happen more than once? Does it happen at regular times, (i.e. 8pm then 9pm then 10 pm etc), or is it just the one bang each night at the same time or different times on different nights.
Mark a pencil line around the noggins during the day time and, if you hear a bang, go and inspect the pencil marks to see if the noggins have moved. If they have then there's the site of the noise. Next you would need to find the reason it is happening. Is there a hot water pipe running close by? Is the pipe actually hot at that time? etc
I wouldn't screw anything down until you find the reason for it happening.

Thanks for your input and detailed response.

It just happens once, Almost like something has moved a bit Due to contraction in the wee small hours when it is colder. The main culprit is likely to be the fact that everything is not screwed together yet, but obviously that might not be correct and it can be a little bit annoying to be woken up of course!
Hard to be specific because I might be sleeping through the noise most nights and it is just a case of me sleeping lightly some nights and then being interrupted.
If noggins are generally good practice then there shouldn’t be an issue as I will make sure they are all fitted tight and screwed down well. I was really just thinking at a general level whether it is a bad idea, but you are suggesting it is not in so that is okay.

How would a noggin make a bang..its constrained between two joists and does not rapidly expand....

and it is nothing to do with the central heating or plumbing of any description.
do you have pipes running through at all ?
how cold does it get, ensuite , outside walls ?
have you only touched the flooring ?
What about doors, windows , ceiling ?

any photos ?

do you have pipes running through at all ?
how cold does it get, ensuite , outside walls ?
have you only touched the flooring ?
What about doors, windows , ceiling ?

any photos ?
Hi,
There are one or two pipes but it is almost definitely movement of wood as opposed to plastic pipes banging on wood. There is one outside wall, but it’s a relatively modern house and so it is not getting excessively cold in there.
I don’t think this used to happen before I started work on the bathroom and so I have probably caused it. But in all likelihood it is just simply because the wood is in-situ, but not screwed down.
As mentioned, a real concern was around a number of noggins that I have introduced and whether I shouldn’t have!

Weirdest thread i have read in a while.

Are your noggins fixed in or just wedged between joists at the moment?

How did you "straighten up the joists"?

May not be of any use to you but after a shower, I used to get one random bang about half an hour after getting in to bed. It took months to pin down but it turned out to be the automatic bypass valve was sticky and when the hot water cylinder reached temperature, the two port valve closed and the ABV opened.

May not be of any use to you but after a shower, I used to get one random bang about half an hour after getting in to bed. It took months to pin down but it turned out to be the automatic bypass valve was sticky and when the hot water cylinder reached temperature, the two port valve closed and the ABV opened.

nothing is connected up yet and so that is not my problem, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Weirdest thread i have read in a while.

Are your noggins fixed in or just wedged between joists at the moment?

How did you "straighten up the joists"?

Noggin are fixed, mostly, but they weren’t there to straighten up the joists but instead add extra strength for reasons I won’t bore you with and also to provide support for the edge of the new floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back