Lifting Glues Chipboard Floorboards - is it worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am laying a new laminate floor in one of the bedrooms and have just lifted the old carpet and had my first look of the tongue and groove flooring. Some of the tongue and groove joints are very loose and when walked on sag and cause the floor to creak slightly - in the extreme cases the floorboards seem to rock slightly when stood on at opposite ends. With the carpet down this was not noticeable so it is only since i lifted the carpet i have found the issue.

At the moment i think my only option is to try and cut the floor boards using a circular saw and then lift a section and install some noggins to support the joints where they go between joists. My concern with this is that the boards appear to be glued rather than nailed or screwed and I am worried once i cut the boards they will be impossible to lift, or even if i can lift them i will damage the joists (we have a new build which has those strange I-Beam type things made from plywood). So based on this my questions are:

• Would it be better to just cut small pieces of the floor up in between joists and then fix these back down with noggins?
  • What is the best way to try and lift large pieces even though they are glued down?
  • Can i screw the noggins to the chipboard or do they need to fix to the joists?
  • Has anyone attached noggins to the lightweight beams used in new builds - what is the best way to do this?
Any help is much appreciated before i butcher the floor :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply - so is it even worth lifting the boards or just screwing down as much as possible to joists? I was going to use some tongue tite screws as they seem to have some good reviews.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back