Chipboard Floorboard Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new here and joined as we've just moved home and have a lot of DIY ahead of us.

The ground floor is a suspended timber floor and we've noticed that the floors are very "bouncy" and just feel a bit flimsy.

We've pulled up carpets with a view to getting the floorboards up for insulation and we've found that the floorboards are actually 2.4 metre chipboard panels. They're not tongue and groove chipboard... just plain chipboard.

So, is this normal? Do we need to replace all the floorboards with T&G? Can we get away with adding noggins to make the chipboard more stable?

I knew we'd have a lot of work to do but I've not come across this kind of flooring before so I was just looking for some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Sponsored Links
In the 60s and 70s chipboard was exactly like this, and in imperial thicknesses too.
Nothing wrong with it but the T&G prevents draughts and dust etc.
All joins must be on noggins, fixed down with 50x5 screws maybe.
Make sure you know what’s below before adding more screws!
John

Hi,

I'm new here and joined as we've just moved home and have a lot of DIY ahead of us.

The ground floor is a suspended timber floor and we've noticed that the floors are very "bouncy" and just feel a bit flimsy.

We've pulled up carpets with a view to getting the floorboards up for insulation and we've found that the floorboards are actually 2.4 metre chipboard panels. They're not tongue and groove chipboard... just plain chipboard.

So, is this normal? Do we need to replace all the floorboards with T&G? Can we get away with adding noggins to make the chipboard more stable?

I knew we'd have a lot of work to do but I've not come across this kind of flooring before so I was just looking for some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I find chipboard very unsatisfactory. If yours is not T&G it is likely to dip at unsupported joints, you will feel it if you are not wearing heavy shoes.

I also find it cracked and even went into holes at points of heavy or frequent load - under the legs of beds, in front of the sink, the floor at the bottom of stairs. In the bathroom and under the sink, it has crumbled to weetabix where water has dripped. In one room where it has not yet been replaced I have had to put reinforcing plates under the bed.

Builders like it because it is cheap

I hate it.

I have been replacing mine with ply, putting struts (noggins) under all unsupported joints, and also insulating between the joists where appropriate. Screwing it down means I can easily lift it when access is required, e.g. to pipes or cables

Sponsored Links
I find chipboard very unsatisfactory. If yours is not T&G it is likely to dip at unsupported joints, you will feel it if you are not wearing heavy shoes.

I also find it cracked and even went into holes at points of heavy or frequent load - under the legs of beds, in front of the sink, the floor at the bottom of stairs. In the bathroom and under the sink, it has crumbled to weetabix where water has dripped. In one room where it has not yet been replaced I have had to put reinforcing plates under the bed.
Thanks for that.

So far, I’m not a fan of chipboard either. And we’ve got a few areas where it’s got wet and turned to powder and other areas where there’s been a leak and it’s swelled and warped.

A couple of the rooms are like walking on a trampoline.

Honestly, I don’t want to replace it all but im starting to think we won’t have much choice.

18mm or 22mm thick, chipboard can also be 'waterproofed' with a coating if you want.
I personally don't have any issues with this product so long as it is well supported but any access holes for cables or pipes need to be carefully done.
Good luck with your project!
John :)

18mm or 22mm thick, chipboard can also be 'waterproofed' with a coating if you want.
I personally don't have any issues with this product so long as it is well supported but any access holes for cables or pipes need to be carefully done.
Good luck with your project!
John :)

Thanks John. That may be something we can look at. I’ve just never come across it before and I’ve never encounter floors quite this springy.

We’re hopefully getting the boards up this weekend so we’ll see what the situation is and hopefully most of them just need fixing better.

How old is the house?

You'll be able to take a look at the joists once you start ripping the old rubbish up to fling in the skip. It will also be quite easy to start remedial work once you can see the cause. Maybe start in the smallest or least-used room, or when you have to repair a badly-damaged section. You will need a builders canister vac for the dust.

How old is the house?

You'll be able to take a look at the joists once you start ripping the old rubbish up to fling in the skip. It will also be quite easy to start remedial work once you can see the cause. Maybe start in the smallest or least-used room, or when you have to repair a badly-damaged section. You will need a builders canister vac for the dust.

It’s very early 70s. Think the whole estate was completed by 1972. It’s a split level bungalow.

I’m getting eager to start now but yeah we’ll pick a smaller room first to cut our teeth on.

Thanks again!

I done a test with water resistant chipboard and left an offcut in a cup of water for weeks

It was barely affected at all and stood very strong. Not a huge fan of chipboard though

I done a test with water resistant chipboard and left an offcut in a cup of water for weeks

It was barely affected at all and stood very strong. Not a huge fan of chipboard though
That’s interesting. I’m guessing our stuff isn’t water resistant then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back