What should I use instead of floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I just found my suspended timber floor was rotten and had to rip up the entire thing (floorboards, joists, the lot). I now have a 2' deep hole where my lounge used to be.

I plan to purchase joists and re-fit exactly what was already there, just with new wood. The one bit I dont care for is floorboards - instead of laying dozens of floorboards can I just get sheets of wood (chipboard/plywood?) and lay those down accross the joists?

The original floorboards were 22mm, could I just use 22mm chipboard?

I'll also take the opportunity to insulate.

Thanks,
Tom.

Sponsored Links
Well if you where to get chipboard, make sure its flooring grade and T&G
If you are to use Plywood make sure its T&G and not square edged

Of course it depends on where you are in the country as well. Plywood T&G flooring isnt as readily available in some areas and you will pay through the nose for it.

8ft 4ft Chipboard T&G flooring is the standard flooring type these days.

Whats your underfloor ventilation like?

Daniel

Sponsored Links
chipboard is rubbish, use ply.

put noggins under all short joins that are not directly over a joist

sweep up under the floor, and especially clear up any scraps of wood or other organis matter. Open up all the clogged airbricks.

While you are down there, insulate any pipes and beteen the joists. This is a also good time to run cables for any additional sockets, phones, computers, TVs.

You might like to put traps for access in the new floor.

The biggest advantage of chipboard to the builder is that is very cheap.

I know of no advantage to the householder.

I hope you have sorted the source of the damp which caused it all to go rotten if not chipboard would be a very bad choice as it will not last long in damp conditions.

I would always go for Ply for flooring if not using proper floorboards as its much stronger and more stable than chipboard.

I think the same can be said for Plywood, I can think of no advantage to the householder that cant be said about chipboard.

If you are worried about damp ingress when using chipboard, use a protect style chipboard with D4 adhesive.

chipboard is very weak, and is inclined to crack, especially where it has more load, at doorways, the bottom of stairs, in front of the sink, and under the cooker. Ply is stronger and more durable, and I think less noisy in footfall.

Ply is proberbly better, but T&G ply isnt overly common in the UK, compaired to chipboard.

Whatever has caused the damp/rot needs to be address before any floor goes down.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back