Solid hardwood flooring vs floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably a silly question, but bear with me.

I'm looking to replace the old chipboard floorboards upstairs in my house. I was thinking of installing plywood floorboards and then putting laminate over the top.

But i'm thinking it might cheaper and better to just install solid wood floorboards over the joists.

Is the solid wood flooring you see advertised at various flooring companies suitable to replace floorboards (IE load bearing) or is it designed to sit on top existing floorboards?

Can anyone recommend a good supplier of these types of materials?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Only 18mm T&G hardwood floors can usually be used nailed straight on to the joist. But check the manufacturers specification, max centers etc...

Why take the old floor up?

If it is ok condition leave it down and thicken up your floors timber is a great insulation

Only 18mm T&G hardwood floors can usually be used nailed straight on to the joist. But check the manufacturers specification, max centers etc...
Yes, at least 18mm, at least long enough to connect with at least 3 joists which shouldn't be further apart than 35 - 40 cm

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the replies.

The old floor is chipboard and is in poor condition. Pretty much every floor board creaks. I'd assumed laying new flooring over the top whilst easier wouldn't get rid of the creaking.

So 18mm tongue and groove it is then...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back