Replacing chipboard flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a lot of work done and I'm just about to replace the chipboard flooring in my bedroom. It is like for like replacement. Replacing 22mm thick chipboard.

How essential is glue? We've lived here for the last 14 years (without any issues) and the old chipboard wasn't glued down.

I've got spax screws ready.

Also I was just watching a video to see if I could pick up any tips, and they said that the end of a board should always end on a noggin. There are no noggins between the joists at all. Should I be going to the extra expense and time to fit noggins throughout?

The joists are at 400 centres and the boards ran perpendicular to the joists. The room is 4m square.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How essential is glue? We've lived here for the last 14 years (without any issues) and the old chipboard wasn't glued down.
Well, the recommendation for chipboard sub floor installation where squeaking and creaking are to be kept to the minimum is to glue to the joists and glue all of the t&g joints. You might be OK, but as ever you miss steps out at your own peril. I'm trade. I've learned that if I don't cut corners there will be no

I was just watching a video to see if I could pick up any tips, and they said that the end of a board should always end on a noggin. There are no noggins between the joists at all. Should I be going to the extra expense and time to fit noggins throughout?
Yes

The reasons why people have creaky chipboard floors all tend to be down to corner cutting where maybe one corner too many has been cut.

Thanks for the replies, I've put one row of noggins in today between other jobs. Would you put them along every join?

It didn't creak at all before and wasn't glued, and there were no noggins, and the screws were just standard screws (shorter than they are supposed to be too). However the floor must have moved slightly as the wardrobe door creaked when you walked in the middle of the room.

The room was an extension built in the 80s. There were a few corners cut (such as 6 double sockets spurred off a single socket in the next room) which have already been sorted so I'm not surprised that it had others corners cut.

Sponsored Links
Th noggins are really only required where you have unsupported short joints (I.e. board end to board end). The side joints being long ones don't need them providing they are adequately glued. T&G chipboard should be laid on a "brick pattern" so that the end joints don't all line up

Last edited by a moderator:
You will benefit from extra support at the points subject to extra load or traffic

E.g. at the bottom of stairs where people jump or step down

At doorways

In front of sinks

Under the legs of beds or baths.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back