Replacing section of chipboard floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have taken up some tiles and ply from a chipboard floor to prepare for new ply and amtico. By where the sink was there has Obviously been a leak over the years which Has made the chipboard like a sponge! I am going to cut this out with a circular saw set to the depth of the boards and replace but not sure of how far I need to go. The chipboard is glued (not screwed or nailed) so was planing on cutting through the joins and replacing new for old. My worry is support for the new boards as the tongue and grooves will now be removed. Do I add noggins along the joins and screw each side ? And is is necessary to replace complete boards or can I just remove damaged parts? It seems to me I would be keeping more of the structure of the floor if I only cut out damaged portions? Thanks !

view

Attachments

• BD07F0ED-2481-40A4-B93E-5BBCAD83BB26.jpeg
    BD07F0ED-2481-40A4-B93E-5BBCAD83BB26.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 236
Sponsored Links
Cut out the affected area. Add battens (2 × 1 dlate lath or larger section softwood) to the sides of the joists where needed and 2 x 2 or 3 x 2 softwood beneath joints if required

my thoughts
best to cut a couple off inches away from any blown timber
cut at least 2" away from a joint more iff you can[at least 3] because the joining surfaces cover around an inch wide zig zag from the possible joint line so weak to screw through so at 2" away may be at 1" central on a 2" wide baton
i personally never bother with noggins just edge the cutout with 2x1 flat all the way round well screwed to tie the boards together
although if you had something like a bath leg a noggin under the point its going would be belt and braces

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back