Can I leave floor perimeter and just replace centre??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to stop very creaky bedroom floors and hoped to do so just by screwing down the chipboard panels. However, most of the noise is coming from along the T&G and the boards are generally well secured to the joists. So plan B is to replace the chipboard with plywood. To make this easier and avoid damage to the skirting and plasterwork, can I cut through the chipboard at about 6 inches away from the walls, support with noggins where necessary, remove the remaining chipboard from the central area of the floor and then drop 8 x 4 plywood in its place.

Sponsored Links
Are trhe boards screwed down or nailed?
I ask this because sometimes it's the nails that can be causing the squeek as the the board raises and lowers across it.
One solution could be to glue across the T&G joint and firmly screw the boards down, spacing screws about every 6-8 inch.
Then remove or hammer down and nails that have popped up.

Sponsored Links
You can probably tell that you're dealing with a novice here!!. I cannot identify the nails. They are all driven well home with only the heads showing; the heads are approx 7mm diameter. There is no apparent spring in the joists and the creaking is only apparent when I tread on a side joint in the boards between the joists, which are spaced at 40 cm intervals. In my researches, I have read many adverse comments about chipboard and how screwing down is not really the solution, which I why I am considering replacing with plywood. I just want to avoid having to remove skirting with the consequent risk of damaging the plasterwork and then having to re-decorate. hence my thoughts about cutting around the perimeter to approx 6 cm, tearing up the central chipboard and then dropping in sheets of 8 x 4 ply. The room dimensions are 4.3mtrs x 3.8mtrs.

The thing is with ply wood boards, they wont be T&G and that is where you get a lot of your strength from as this will support the joint between joists.
I understand your frustration but it could well be the wrong nails that are causing your problem.
A Ringshank nail will have rings most of the way up the shaft, it stops the things from pulling out.
Like this
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/3850353.html

Thanks for your continuing guidance PrenticeBoy. I guess that, stating the obvious, the first thing to try is to screw the boards in the noisiest area and see if that brings about any improvement. Watch this space!!

Thanks for your continuing guidance PrenticeBoy. I guess that, stating the obvious, the first thing to try is to screw the boards in the noisiest area and see if that brings about any improvement. Watch this space!!

in answer to your question.....

yes you can. when you lift the boards you might find more reasons why they squeak....

but best option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back