Banham Front Door Cylinder replacement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just found our that my front door to my flat can be opened with another key, screwdriver or pretty much anything.
I need to replace the cylinder, (Landlord's on holiday)found some on ebay but stuck on sizes to purchase, any help appreciated.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Perhaps someone squirted glue inside. Or oil that has thickened. When you get it out, look inside and see if you can clean it out. White spirit will soften old grease, if you work the key in it while cleaning.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps someone squirted glue inside. Or oil that has thickened. When you get it out, look inside and see if you can clean it out. White spirit will soften old grease, if you work the key in it while cleaning.

But a screwdriver or a different key?

And why is the OP's exterior lock sitting at 35 degrees?

But a screwdriver or a different key?

If all the pins were stuck in the "open" position, if something is injected, and a key is then used to unlock the door, the plug is unlocked and only needs to be rotated.

It's not a new technique, though you might need some luck.

The same thing could happen accidentally. I've seen old lever locks where factory grease has hardened and parts are stuck together. I clean them with white spirit and a paintbrush. Some people use petrol, but I think that more dangerous. I've currently got a non-functioing combination safe lock where I can't find any other cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back