Bannister come away from post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for help please…

A small section of bannister we have on our stairs has come loose from the post it should be attached to.

I tried using Gripfill or something similar but it didn’t have enough grab.

Has anyone any other ideas that could help? Other adhesives maybe? I’m not sure my drill is good enough to put a screw through all the way through the post. And no room to try putting on through on an angle underneath.

Pics attached for ref

Any help appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4429.jpeg
    IMG_4429.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4430.jpeg
    IMG_4430.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
You will need to put a 5x100mm screw through the newel post and into the handrail. Pilot the newel post to about 60mm deep with a 12mm Auger/Spade bit, with a 6mm spade bit drill a pilot hole the remaining 30-40mm of the newel and slightly into handrail.

Screwfix do some do some good wood screws, or Reissers but they are pricey.

Clean the end of the handrail as best as possible,use D5 Wood Glue, drive screw up to hand rail, pull together and slowly drive the screw into the handrail until you feel tension in your drill bit. Fill hole.

Sponsored Links
You will need to put a 5x100mm screw through the newel post and into the handrail. Pilot the newel post to about 60mm deep with a 12mm Auger/Spade bit, with a 6mm spade bit drill a pilot hole the remaining 30-40mm of the newel and slightly into handrail.

Screwfix do some do some good wood screws, or Reissers but they are pricey.

Clean the end of the handrail as best as possible,use D5 Wood Glue, drive screw up to hand rail, pull together and slowly drive the screw into the handrail until you feel tension in your drill bit. Fill hole.

Wow thanks for the detailed instructions. Looks like I’ve got some shopping to do but will give this a go. Thanks very much

@chirpychippy hi again, would any other grade wood glue work do you think? D5 doesn’t seem very readily available at regular outlets. If I get the screw right could I get away with a different D-grade do you think? Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back