Levelling of the top of a newel post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i recently moved into a house and couldn't get anything up the stairs due to a newel post and bannister rail. I had to literally saw the newel post and removed all the bannister rail and spindles. I'm now left with half a newel that will look akay once I can Level the top of it. I can't remove it as it's part of the stairs and a big job. Obviously sawing a vertical piece of wood meant it wasn't a straight cut. I want to put a newel cap on the top of the newel post. How can i level the top of the post???? I've tried planing and sanding, keep getting one side level etc, gonna end up with no post soon lol. Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
If you are not very adept at sawing, then the easiest way for you to tackle this is as follows :-

Use a "square" to mark a horizontal line on one face, continue with the other 3 faces, when you have finished the lines should meet !!

Gently saw along one of the lines, only about 1 m/m deep, do this on the other 3 faces. Now continue sawing each face, a little at a time, watching that the saw follows the side cuts.

This will take you a while, but you will get there eventually.....Good Luck.

Can i not just square it off and sand it down ?? With an extra coarse sand paper?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can, and what will happen as you sand to the line is the middle will be high !!!!

If you wish to do this, I would then drill out the centre to leave an edge about 12.0 m/m all the way round, which will be much easier to flatten.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back