1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Stairs

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by rsbhj, 10 Jun 2021 at 8:27 PM.

1. rsbhj

rsbhj

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

I am looking to have my stairs modernised, new spindles, newel, hand rail etc.

I had someone out to have a look and they said the existing newel cant be removed and it would need to be cut about the first step (see red line in photo). This new would then be joined on to the old.

The trouble is I dont want it white and I want to varnish it for an oak look. (see photo of what I am looking for)

If the new newel is joined to the old white I would have to take the old back to the bare wood to try match it after varnishing and most likely there will be a visible join?

Is there no way to fully remove that existing newel, cut at just above floorboard level?

The Newel at the top of the stair turn again can this be remove and cut further down?

Attached Files:

2. rsbhj

rsbhj

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The look I am after

Attached Files:

3. Sponsored Links
  4. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You need to find a better carpenter.

5. rsbhj

rsbhj

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So its possible to remove the full existing white newel to floor board level?

6. Sponsored Links
  7. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, but it isn't the easiest of tasks. Make sure you find someone competent