Baofeng BF-888S programming any hams out there?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two programs that should work with this radio, however the 'CHIRP' program will not set the language, it will set frequencies, wide/narrow, and all needed to use the radios, but it now talks in Chinese, it did talk in English before I replaced the illegal frequencies for those I am permitted to use.

The HKT-480 Radio Program Software 888S will read what is on the radio, but does not seem to write to radio, it did the first time I tried, and the radio on switch on just emitted a tone, which is why I tried programming with 'CHIRP' once done in 'CHIRP' I could read the programming with HKT-480 Radio Program Software 888S and alter things, and it reported it was writing to radio, however when I read it again I find no change, still talks Chinese, the channel numbers are very small and all I can do is go to channel 1 then count to channel I want.

I will be getting a UV-B6 for Christmas so hoping it will not have the same problem!

Sponsored Links
On another forum a very kind guy sent me the file from his radios which was set to English and worked A1 with his radios. I wrote this onto the Radios, it changed them to his frequencies so know it did write OK, however the two faults remained.
1) Spoke channel numbers in Chinese.
2) The radios would randomly go into transmit, with nothing plugged in, and no one near the radios.
The stuck in Chinese I could live with, the random transmit without touching the radio I can't, so I have two useless radios.

Found out why it transmits, VOX is on, however turning it off does not work, or changing gain, it is stuck at on gain 5, reports down load OK but only changes frequencies, VOX stays on.

Sponsored Links
Sorted, just in case anyone else has the problem, set to channel 1, hold monitor and PTT buttons and switch on and it toggles VOX on/off and set to channel 15, hold monitor and PTT buttons and switch on and it toggles Chinese/English voice.

Some kind guy on another forum told me, I would have never found out without being told, needed HKT-480 Radio Program SoftWare to see if VOX on/off, however when I used that program to start with, it caused radio to emit a noise when switched on, had to use CHIRP program to get frequencies entered to start with, but setting are blank, neither program would alter settings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back