Barge boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted this in Roofing, but am going to be cheeky and post it here too, as I'm not sure where it best belongs.View media item 97965This is a picture of the front of a workshop I'm rebuilding. The cladding is larch featheredge. It replaces rotten, vertical cladding that was flatter and thinner. The old cladding tucked neatly under the mortar fillet along the the verge, but the new cladding sits prouder, and once the barge board is fitted there will be little if any overhang from the tiles, and a gap. What would be the correct way to finish this detail to make the verge weatherproof? I'm using timber.

Thanks.

Richard

Sponsored Links
havent got a clue but suspect extending the roof by half a tile is the only correct answer
anything else will be a bodge
you could perhaps cut back about 3" and make up a molding that will fill the gap with a 30 degree slope top face to tuck under the tiles and a rebate to cover the ends off the timber

Try googling pics for "gable capping covers" or similar.

One length of timber down, & just overlapping the edge of the roof, pinned down to a length of timber fixed to the face of the verge or any barge board.

There are also L shaped plastic edge covers available.

One length of timber down, & just overlapping the edge of the roof, pinned down to a length of timber fixed to the face of the verge or any barge board.

I reckon that could be the way to go, thanks. I'll offer up the boards first and see whether I can get any kind of credible mortar fillet above.

Sponsored Links
The mortar option that you refer to wont work - verge pointing mortar is applied above the undercloak not below it or alongside it.

You can get cloaked verge tiles, which you could then do without the barge board.

You can get cloaked verge tiles, which you could then do without the barge board.
The tiles on the roof are old concrete double Roman (I think - I'm not a roofer). Can I get cloaked verge tiles that will work with them?

Cheers
Richard

The mortar option that you refer to wont work - verge pointing mortar is applied above the undercloak not below it or alongside it.
There isn't an undercloak as such. The top of the old barge boards was doing that job.

Cheers
Richard

You should take a tile off and look at the back to find the manufacturer
and give them a call.

What should I do about the gaps under the horizontal cover strip, where it would cover the tiles? The bottom of each tile stands proud of the top of the one beneath it. Rain could drive into the gap. Mortar?

Cheers
Richard

I've decided it's going to be easier to replace the thick larch lap (that I had spare) with some T&G or shiplap, that should give me enough depth to replicate (but horizontally) what was there before the renovation, which you see in the picture below - the rot is due to the whole lot being covered in ivy and climbing hydrangea for several years. I'll also tuck a membrane over the end rafters to overlap on the membrane I have behind the cladding. Fortunately I fitted the larch with decking screws rather than nails. Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies.
View media item 97983

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back