Timber for barge boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm abouts to replace all of my barge boards around my house (I was going to paint them but turns out they are pretty rotten!) but am unsure as to what timber to use.

Can I just order plane/sawn timber and paint it or do I need treated wood? I'd like to try to get them to match the neighbours so normal timber would be best.

I've done a search on here and not much in the way of information covering timber, as most people are replacing with UPVC, which is not suitable for my house.

Thaks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Ask for 1" thick p.a.r. or p.a.s. and to whatever depth you require to match, i.e. 6"x 1".... 7"x 1".... 8"x 1".... 9"x 1"....etc etc.

It does not specifically need to be treated but you can do so if you wish.

It is the way it is painted and maintained that prolongs life.

Thanks for that.

Can I just ask what P.A.R / P.A.S are??

Thanks again for the help,

Phil

Planed All Round,
Dunno about PAS, Planed All Sides at a a guess.

Slate barge boards are typical in France
View media item 34742
Maybe a bit too novel for here. Reduces maintenance though.

Sponsored Links
I'm abouts to replace all of my barge boards around my house do I need treated wood? Thaks in advance for any help.
Treat the cut ends with a clear wood preserver :idea: prime all round - even undercoat the visible face if you like - then fix.Probably a good idea to use a specific outdoor paint system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back