Replacing timber barge boards / fascia boards

28 Sep 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Parts of my fascia are rotten and need replacing. Rather than replace the whole shooting match I reckon I can 'cut and paste'

Trouble is I'm struggling to find suitable timber and I'd rather not go to the expense of replacing the whole lot with uPVC.

The measurements of the existing fascia boards are as follows:

Width 170mm
Thickness 20mm

I'd like to get a few metres to replace the ends which have rotted.

Anyone any ideas?
Sponsored Links
go to your local timber merchant and ask for 7x1" par/planed and thats exacty what you will get
Thank you sir.

Just been to Jewson and, as you said, that's exactly what I got.

Previous merchant only had 6 or 8 inch and my sawing is not so straight!
theres a story about my last trip to jewsons lol
i am a bench joiner and i urgently needed some 7x1" as it happens
i got a lift in a car as i dont drive
took a hardpoint saw with me to the a board in half
measured the centre marked with a dot cut accross my knee in the car park
when we got the boards back he put a sqaure on the cut it was exactly square in both planes
he said he was realy surprised at how accurate my free hand cutting was

i said i was ferking amazed as my freehand cuts where all over the place normaly :D :D ;)
Sponsored Links
i always under cut :)
i remember a teacher being able to do that,looked like it had been cut with a chop saw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local