Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replacing rotten fascia. Detached bungalow with half hip slate/tile roof.

Existing fascia's in two pieces all the way around. Bottom pieces look like upside down skirting board. Above this there's a narrower strip (about 35mm wide). You can see this in the photo.

Anyone please know if there might be a specific reason for the two-piece approach? I'm hoping I can just replace both pieces with a 200mm-wide uPVC board...

I can see a slate nailed to the barge board but think this only happens in one or two places. You can see this in the photo too. Not sure I'd want to be nailing into the PVC...

Anyway grateful for comments.

20180611_212909_edit.jpg

Sponsored Links
Slates will be nailed to the barge boards so I wouldn't pull them off lightly
you can open a can of worms so to speak, as for the fascia board if may have been done like that so they could get on with slating the roof before they
put the fascia boards on, or they just couldn't source deep enough fascia
boards at the time.

Thanks catlad.

Had another look and removed part of the fascia. Both parts were nailed together so must’ve gone on that way. So reckon you’re right with sourcing deep enough fascia. Or maybe just more economical to use two pieces whenever their ‘standard’ board was too narrow.

Can of worms – I get that. But the board’s well rotten in places. May have to remove all slates along verge to sort(?)

P.S. Waiting for fascia supplier to confirm we can nail slates to the replacement UPVC barge board.

Last edited:
If you are going to remove all the verge slates have you considered
using a continuous dry verge for slate.

Sponsored Links
Hmm... Wasn't going to... But would that secure the verge slates without needing to nail them to the barge boards?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back