Barristers striking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62629776

There has been some criticism on here about strikers, especially the train staff.

I wonder what the right wingers think to these people going on strike. Likely to be more right wing than left wing by the nature of the career path, so maybe they are ok to strike?

Seems to be about pay, working conditions and funding.

This section sounds familiar too....

Tentative plans to broker a deal behind the scenes by bringing forward payments have failed - partly because there is simply no trust between the profession and ministers who won't meet them.
Quite simply, this strike has been years in the coming. Criminal barristers are incredibly angry - and it's very hard to see how this stand-off can be resolved any time soon.

Sponsored Links
Criminal lawyers can often make less than tube drivers.

Not sure why it would be seen as a right wing career. I know plenty who took to criminal law to protect the rights of the innocent. Duty solicitors work anti social hours and the call out rates are probably on par with a lock smith or plumber.

Dockers walked out leaving one of the largest container vessels unloaded - the largest I believe. The port is a profitable business etc. Interesting comment in some ways. All UK utilities are cash pots for investors. Ports are just another type.

Teacher's and nurse's decisions come up soon.
Tentative plans to broker a deal behind the scenes by bringing forward payments have failed - partly because there is simply no trust between the profession and ministers who won't meet them.
seems a commission came up with some suggestions which are being ignored. ;) Not unusual. A solution may be a 15% increase on new cases. It sounded like they may accept that.

Dockers walked out leaving one of the largest container vessels unloaded - the largest I believe. The port is a profitable business etc. Interesting comment in some ways. All UK utilities are cash pots for investors. Ports are just another type.

Teacher's and nurse's decisions come up soon.

seems a commission came up with some suggestions which are being ignored. ;) Not unusual. A solution may be a 15% increase on new cases. It sounded like they may accept that.
No, they've rejected that. The 15% was what was recommended for all cases something like a year ago as the absolute minimum.

Due to the way cases are funded the 15% rise that has been approved by government at last won't be seen for another year or two.

Sponsored Links
Criminal lawyers can often make less than tube drivers.

Not sure why it would be seen as a right wing career. I know plenty who took to criminal law to protect the rights of the innocent. Duty solicitors work anti social hours and the call out rates are probably on par with a lock smith or plumber.
There is a difference between solicitors and barristers, hence why its likely a more right wing type career

There is a difference between solicitors and barristers, hence why its likely a more right wing type career
Indeed there is but you haven't explained why you think that a barrister is more likely to be right wing?

No, they've rejected that. The 15% was what was recommended for all cases something like a year ago as the absolute minimum.
No - mentioned by one on the BBC about an hour ago. They might, new but not existing cases. That I assume means straight away and might doesn't mean definitely.

In Uk we're experiencing a ferocious erosion of workers rights in all sectors.
For some reasons companies and public authorities started using covid as an excuse to change rules, policies and contracts "ON A TEMPORARY BASIS ".
Now we see that these changes not only weren't temporary, but were only the start of the agenda.
Tube workers (not only drivers) are striking because their pension contributions are at risk of being eaten to pay for the last 2 years extravagance and the new ones coming (WW3, monkey pox, etc.).
They've also been told that their long standing framework agreement will be ripped up and re-written unilaterally.
Their roster, which perfectly covers duties and guarantees service continuity, will be changed: more extreme shifts will be introduced, as well as cover weeks in which their duties will be a mystery until 24 hrs before booking on and work locations reshuffled.
This will make life impossible for many.
Think about people who live out of london and travel by train.
They won't be able to book on duty at the proposed 04:30am start of shift.
Think about parents sharing childcare with their partners and working opposite shifts; they'll be forced to employ a babysitter or give up work.
I'm following a few union cases atm and this sort of things is happening everywhere.
A couple of examples:

1. A firm in Heathrow airport has started charging workers for use of the staff car park which was a contractual concession.

2. A local authority has changed all of their park wardens shifts for no reason rather than upset them and make them leave (they are on old contract and apparently earn too much)

3. A national leisure provider announced locally (west london) without any consultation that any employee going on leave for longer than 2 weeks won't be paid, regardless of the reason, coverage and business need, a strict rule that cannot be overruled for any reason (WTF!)
In this firm, a woman who had to get married in her home country and then go on honeymoon was told that to get 6 weeks off she needed to resign and then re-join on zero hours.
Good thing she didn't.!

4. This makes my blood boil:
A logistic company that has just taken over from another one, stated that despite the TUPE regulations, they are introducing new policies and reviewing contracts in all aspects.
THEY PUT THIS IN WRITING!
When challenged and threatened with Employment Tribunal, they shamelessly said that out of 300 employees, only a couple would go that far and they're ready to pay them out (WTFx3! They didn't put this in writing)

5. The most brazen: local authority owned company refuses to engage with recognised union by not showing up at meetings or holding meetings at very short notice and refusing to reschedule.
They won't release union reps to attend meetings .
Same company falsify meeting minutes and when employee complains, they're threatened with the sack for alleging wrongdoing.
Have you ever heard of an employee admitting leaving work early without authorisation on his day off???
WTFx10!

But, but, but, Brexit made it all better, didn't it? Anyway, all these excessive regulations are getting in the way of... workers rights and the fat cats screwing the working man even motre than tey already do. All this in a country without a formal written constitution or bill of rights. I mean, why do you need those? General Strike, anyone? [/SARCASM]

Sponsored Links
Back