Base for a Shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to lay a base for a shed (6x8 timber) and intend on using some paving slabs. Before now I have always laid them onto a dry mix of ballast & cement. To save time on the mixing etc, is it possible to lay them onto 'Type 1 MOT' if I give it a good levelling out and tamp ot down firm ?
Either way, how deep do I need to go with the MOT or the Sand/Cement mix. The soil area below is pretty well compacted and not too soft .

Sponsored Links
I’ve never used a concrete base; I’ve used both large paving slabs & 6ft reinforced fence barge boards as a base for some quiet large sheds over the years & only ever bedded them on sharp sand; I've never had any problems with movement. The shed I left at my last house (6 x 6 ft) was still fine after 18 years. The shed here at my latest property (4 1/2 years) is large, 20 x 8 ft & the base is laid in exactly the same way; no problems to date.

Your not building a house, it’s a shed & there is not much weight in a shed! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back