Sufficient foundation base for new bbq?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About a year ago I laid a base for a shed. The base was concrete paving slabs laid onto a base of dry mixed ballast & cement. I now intend on moving the shed to the bottom of the garden, so am therefore left with just the base. As the slabs are not particularly attractive I want to lay new slabs over the top and then build a brick BBQ on top of that. Now here's my question.... Would the existing base plus the new slabs on top be sufficient or do I need to pull the whole lot up and then dig out a few inches and lay a solid concrete pad. The thickness of the first option I guess would be around 5-6" if I take into account the base mix plus the two layers of slabs. If I have to go for the second option, what depth should I aim for (concrete and hardcore inclusive). Whilst I don't want to cut corners, neither do i want to cause myself unnecessary work. Hope this make sense, cheers for any advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back