Sub-base area for shed base?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When you lay a slab for a shed base, do you compact the hardcore and THEN put the formwork for the concrete down on top, or is the formwork laid and then hardcore compacted down within the boundary of the formwork?

If it makes any difference, 'm planning on 75mm MOT1 followed by 75mm concrete, for a 10x12 shed. Only the top 25-50mm of the concrete will be left showing above the finished ground level.

Sponsored Links
I know this is dragging up an old thread but I am embarking on something similar and wondering the same things?

I thought for my 3.5m x 4m shed I would need a slab of 3.8m x 4.3m and a sub base of 4m x 4.5m...effectively like a pyramid so it's all supported effectively?!

Sponsored Links
depends what you want to keep in your shed! but I built a workshop 10 years ago with the slab 25mm (an inch) bigger than the outside wall size, 9" concrete under the walls and 3-4" concrete for the slab. All this was on a few inches of hardcore very well compacted. I dug out, put the levels in, fille dwith hardcore and then compacted...filled with concrete, levelled, first layer of blocks, dpc then built up from that...flat felt roof

Stood well, no leaks cracks or movement for 10 yrs. Then I moved out so presume it's still standing... had benches, lathes, mills etc etc all in there no issues with base cracking...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back